Ensuring Mission Success for All Our Customers
Successfully executing space missions remains a high-risk, unforgiving venture, and the impact of these missions only continues to grow in criticality, scope, expense, and visibility. Such complex undertakings so central to the nation’s security require an approach that will ensure their success.
Mission assurance is the disciplined application of proven scientific, engineering, quality, and program management principles toward the goal of achieving mission success. It follows a general systems engineering framework and uses risk management and independent assessment as cornerstones throughout the program lifecycle.
The Aerospace Corporation maintains a cadre of subject matter experts and program management professionals skilled in national security space mission assurance. To coordinate this across the corporation, the Corporate Chief Engineer’s Office (CCEO) was established in 2008 and is charged with delivering a disciplined, practical, and accountable approach to mission assurance by developing, codifying, and promulgating common technical best practices and tools. CCEO collaborates closely with Space and Missile Systems Center and National Reconnaissance Office customers, and is supported in these endeavors by the corporation’s Engineering and Technology Group, program offices, and Aerospace counterparts to government systems engineering organizations.
As Aerospace’s “one voice” on corporate positions related to mission assurance, CCEO:
- maintains a common mission assurance technical baseline of best practices for space system acquisition, development, operations, and sustainment.
- coordinates mission assurance collaborative activities across the U.S. space enterprise, including internally to Aerospace, among government customers, and within industry and academia.
- maintains a corporate quality management system.
- fosters a common approach to mission assurance as well as the establishment of supporting guidance to respond to the risk posture and tailoring needs of individual programs.
- facilitates assessments of enterprise technical program execution and readiness.